Volunteer Vision: Bates Bennett
“Starkville Academy provides a fun environment, both in and out of the classroom,” Bennett said. The current senior has attended Starkville Academy for thirteen years and has certainly made the most of his time at the school. Bennett is Student Body President and a member of the Quiz Bowl, soccer and cross country teams. This involvement in extra-curricular activities has benefited his personal growth. “I’m an independent person, but I’ve really learned how to work well with others,” he said. Most recently, Bennett was named a National Merit Semifinalist, something he said is a “great honor.” Bennett is one of 16,000 Semifinalists selected in the 64th annual National Merit Scholarship Program. This group of outstanding students represents less than one percent of high school seniors in the U.S. Bennett will have the opportunity to continue in the competition for some 75,000 National Merit Scholarships worth more than $31 million that will be offered next spring. After graduating in May, Bennett plans to attend college and pursue a career in engineering.
More Fun Facts About Bates Bennett
- Bennett’s Favorite Verse to Live By: “We all have to choose between what is right and what is easy.”
- Bennett’s Favorite Class: “I’m really enjoying AP Government, as it explains how events 300 years ago affect today.”
News, Notes, and Highlights
- Come support the 6th grade Pumpkin Patch this Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- We have several exciting sports events next week! Check the calendar to see how you can support your Vols!
- For students who were absent yesterday (including the swim team), school picture retakes will be October 2.