Congratulations to senior Lake Little on being named a Semifinalist for the 2019 Class of the Coca-Cola Scholars Program. Out of a pool of 95,715 students nationwide, only 1,896 students from across the nation were chosen as a semifinalist, and only 12 students in Mississippi earned that distinction. 250 regional finalists will be chosen at the end of January, with 150 finalists to be selected in March to each receive a $20,000 college scholarship. Good luck in the next round, Lake, and well done!
Starkville Academy hosted its 21st Annual Shakespeare Banquet on Saturday, December 1. Entertainment was provided by ninth-grade English students who dressed in Elizabethan period costumes. At the banquet, students feasted on an Elizabethan meal where they provided their own silverware, had a fencing duel and danced. Students also performed sonnets they created in class and reenacted scenes from William Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet.”
We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced due to technical difficulties with our RenWeb email system. We have been told that the problems stem from an update over this past weekend, and currently emails are not being received by people who have Yahoo and AOL email addresses. Additionally, Gmail addresses are working sporadically.
Until this issue is resolved, we are going to post important messages on our social media channels (Facebook and Twitter) and the blog portion of our website located on the homepage. We will also continue sending emails, in hopes the system begins working correctly.
Remember, we will have an early dismissal day on Friday, November 30th, as this will be the second day that 15 teachers and administrators will be attending a teacher workshop in Madison. Please plan accordingly for the 12:00 and 12:30 dismissal times. Afterschool Care will run until 5:30 p.m. that Friday as usual.
Also, don't forget that the days leading into the Christmas holidays will be different this year in regards to dismissal times. 7th-12th grade students will be dismissed at 12:30 p.m. on December 14, 17-19 upon completion of their semester exams. Elementary students will have full days of school on December 14, 17-18, but then all students will have an early dismissal on the final day, Wednesday, December 19. Afterschool Care will be open until 5:30 p.m. during all of those days.
We will keep you posted accordingly. Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!
"As an alumna and now teacher at Starkville Academy, I would say that SA creates a great family environment that will not only prepare your children for college, but will also provide them with the tools they will need to be successful in life," Turner said. After attending SA as a student for thirteen years, Turner attended Mississippi State University and graduated with a degree in elementary education. Now she is in the middle of her second year of teaching STEM at Starkville Academy. Choosing to return to the school as an educator was an easy decision for Turner. "I wanted to be part of a school that not only teaches students academically, but helps them grow in their faith in God," she said. For Turner, the atmosphere at Starkville Academy is unlike any other. "Working at SA feels more like coming to see your family than coming to work," Turner said. "The students are great, and there is an amazing support system within the faculty and staff."
More Fun Facts about Brittany Turner
- Turner's Favorite Memory at SA: "I have so many great memories that have been so special, and I know there are many more great memories to come."
- How Turner Has Grown at SA: "I recently decided to pursue my master's degree in elementary education. I don't think I would have made this decision had I not been at SA."
- Turner's Favorite Verse to Live By: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others." (Philippians 2:3-4)
News, Notes, and Highlights
- We hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving holidays next week (November 19-23)!
- Remember we will have early dismissal on Friday, November 30. Elementary students dismiss at 12 p.m. and secondary students at 12:30 p.m.
- Don't forget to purchase your 2018-2019 yearbook "Year in a Flash" while they are $65. The price increases to $75 when we return from Christmas break. Forms are available in the office or online under "School Forms."