PRE-KINDERGARTEN AND KINDERGARTEN
Starkville Academy offers a full day prekindergarten program for children who have turned four years of age by September 1 of the current school year. PreK uses the ABEKA curriculum which is developmentally appropriate for four-year-olds, and the teachers supplement the curriculum with thematic units and learning centers. Emphasis is placed on pre-reading and other skills necessary to begin kindergarten the following year. The curriculum also includes instruction in basic Christian principles with daily devotionals and prayer time. The classroom environment is carefully planned to promote cognitive, emotional, physical, social, and spiritual growth.
Prekindergarten students have 35 minutes of instruction weekly in the following areas: Art, Library, Music, and Physical Education. Teachers in each of these classes strive to teach basic skills in the different areas and add to the education of the total child.
The cornerstone of our philosophy for Starkville Academy Kindergarten is stated in scripture. In Proverbs 22:6, God tells us to “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” We want our students to be the best they can be. We believe in emphasizing academics, yet equally important is the development of Christian values and instilling strong moral character. We have a deep conviction to convey knowledge and teach life skills with vigor and enthusiasm to project the joy of learning.
Students in kindergarten – sixth grade use the Sadlier – Oxford Math series. It builds mastery in critical progressions of concepts that are essential for students’ mathematical knowledge. Students learn to think critically and solve problems through the application of the mathematical concepts. Elementary mathematics also emphasizes the most basic concrete skills and concepts including facts, fractions, decimals, percents, and basic geometry.
Students in kindergarten will receive Language Arts instruction using the Reading Street series. It is organized to promote language acquisition and concept development. Reading Street provides a balance between fiction and nonfiction for all grades. Students are gradually introduced to more nonfiction as they learn to process informational text. First and second grade, students build oral language through concept vocabulary. The language and vocabulary in the texts are connected, this connection helps students build knowledge and read for meaning. Students learn to apply their learning through writing practice. Students also receive instruction in skills including grammar, usage, and spelling which are all integrated in Reading Street’s language arts program.
Kindergarteners receive formal instruction in penmanship. Manuscript printing is taught in kindergarten.
Kindergarten students use the Nancy Larsen interactive science curriculum. This curriculum implements the National Science Education Standards. Students learn science terminology and vocabulary as well as key concepts. Demonstrations, hands-on activities, and review are featured throughout the texts. The Harcourt series includes content application to the state of Mississippi. Students in the third through sixth grades will also have a daily STEM class in their schedule. Through this class students will develop a deeper understanding of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM).
Kindergarten students learn basic social studies concepts through their weekly units.
Classroom Learning Centers
Each kindergarten class participates daily in learning centers that include dramatic play, manipulative toys, listening skills, reading skills, block building, and arts and crafts. These centers enable kindergarten students to develop fine and gross motor skills and improve social development.
Kindergarten classes have 35 minutes of instruction weekly in the following areas: Art, Computer lab, Library, Music, and Physical Education. Teachers in each of these classes strive to teach basic skills in the different areas and add to the education of the total child.
We establish basic routines in each classroom that include devotionals, Pledge of Allegiance, learning center activities, group time, snacks, recess, guided lessons, lunch, and rest time. Field trips and visits from special guests are planned to coordinate with the units of study.
2020-2021 Supply List
- 2 Unscented baby wipes Soft pack-80 count
- 4 Disinfecting wipes-35 count (not for skin)-(Bulk)
- 2 Scott paper towels
- 1 Waterless hand sanitizer with pump 8 oz.
- 2 Crayola Ultra Clean wash thick markers-8 count
- 1 Four color pack of Play Doh (4 oz. cans)
- 8 Elmer’s small .21 oz. (6 gram) glue sticks
- 1 Box of re-closable gallon bags-20 count
- 1 Box of re-closable quart bags-25 count
- 4 Crayola large crayons lift lid box-16 count
- 1 65 lb White card-stock 25 sheets 8.5" x 11"
- 2 Elmer’s 4 oz. school glue
- 1 2” Avery white economy view binder
- 1 Anti-disinfectant air fresh Lysol spray (Bulk)
- 1 9” paper plates-25 count
- 30 8.5" x 11" top load clear sheet protectors-1 each (Sheet protectors sold in 10 counts)
- 2 24-Count Crayola crayons (Standard Size not large or jumbo)
- 2 paper towels
- 2 Kleenex tissue-144 count
- 4 Crayola crayons-24 count
- 2 Crayola ultra clean wash thick markers-10 count
- 4 Elmer’s 4 oz. school glue
- 12 No. 2 Dixon Ticonderoga pre-sharpened pencils
- 1 Fiskars 5” blunt scissors
- 4 Unscented packs of baby wipes
- 1 Fun stickers- 36 count
- 4 Lysol disinfectant wipes 35 count (not for skin)
- 2 Elmer’s small .21 oz. purple washable glue stick
- 1 3” x 5” Ruled white index cards- 100 count
- 1 Assorted plastic pocket folder with 3 holes
- 1 School box 8.5” x 5.75” x 2.5”
- 1 65 lb. White cardstock 25 sheets 8.5” x 11”
- 1 Expo low odor fine tip dry erase markers 4 pack
- 1 1” Asst. hardback vinyl binder
- 1 Ziploc/Glad Gallon zip bags 20 count box
- 1 Purell hand sanitizer with pump 8 oz.
- 1 Latex free pencil cap erasers 6 pack
- 1 7” Pre-sharpened colored pencils 12 count
- 1 Anti-disinfectant air fresh Lysol spray
- 1 7.25" x 10.25'" Pencil bag
- 1 Copy paper ream
- 50 8.5"x 11" Top load clear sheet protectors 1 each
- 1 Bandaids (latex free)-60 count
- 1 Crayola washable watercolors-8 count