“I get to take part in an amazing community of students with excellent faculty giving me the tools for success” Montgomery said. That success is evident in everything Montgomery has done at Starkville Academy. The current senior is a member of the National Honor Society, Science National Honor Society, Thespian Society, Anchor Club, Quiz Bowl and served as statistician for the basketball teams. This year Montgomery was named an All-Star Cast Member for his performance in “4 A.M.” and played Willy Wonka in the school’s musical “Willy Wonka, Jr.” Most recently, Montgomery was voted “Who’s Who Most Likely to Succeed” and received the STAR Student award for making a 34 on the ACT. Montgomery said this year he has certainly appreciated the support that Starkville Academy provides. “I have learned that I’ll always have people who are there for me, no matter what obstacle I face,” he said. After graduating from Starkville Academy this May, Montgomery plans to attend Mississippi State University and major in communication and possibly marketing. He hopes to pursue a career in advertising.
More Fun Facts About Garner Montgomery
- Montgomery’s Favorite Verse to Live By: “I like to tell people, ‘Make a trajectory, not a plan.’ It means that while you should have a life path to follow, always be prepared for God to shift that path somewhere else.”
- Montgomery’s Favorite Memory at SA: “Despite not being a player, it was absolutely thrilling to watch our football team win the State Championship from the sidelines.”
- Montgomery’s Favorite Class: “I have always enjoyed English because I like to read and write. However, I loved taking classes like Spanish and Street Law.”
News, Notes, and Highlights
- OCH is doing their annual free physicals on Saturday, April 28. Starkville Academy’s time is 9:30 a.m. Forms can be picked up in the office or the fieldhouse.
- The SA Talent Showcase will be Thursday, May 10, at 6:00 p.m. in the gym to celebrate the performing talents of our students.
- Looking ahead, we will be giving out student awards in the gym on the following days:
- Senior Awards Day: May 11 at 9 a.m.
- Elementary Awards Day (4th-6th): May 16 at 8:30 a.m.
- High School Awards Day: May 16 at 10:30 a.m.