FIFTH GRADE TEACHER
“Starkville Academy is a place that will challenge your child academically, guide and help grow your child spiritually and encourage and support your child emotionally,” Turner said. “We work hard to help develop your child in all areas to equip them for life outside of school.” As a first-year teacher at Starkville Academy, this is something Turner has witnessed firsthand. Turner received her bachelor’s in education from Mississippi State University and a master’s in education from Louisiana State University. Before coming to Starkville Academy, Turner taught in public schools in Texas and Mississippi for 33 years. The decision to come to Starkville Academy has been a blessing both to Turner and the school. “I love the family atmosphere of the entire school, and I find absolute joy every day in working with my fifth-grade students and teammates,” Turner said. “They are truly a blessing.”
Turner’s Favorite Verse to Live By: “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
How Turner Has Grown at SA: “I’ve enjoyed the challenge of planning and implementing reading and social studies curriculums that complement each other and get the students excited about what they are learning in both areas.”
Fun Fact About Turner: Her niece is Amanda Shy, who also teaches at Starkville Academy!
News, Notes, and Highlights
- Don’t forget our annual Patrons’ Meeting is Thursday, April 5, at 6 p.m. This is one of the school’s most important events! You’ll be given an update on various school programs and finances and hear from the new candidates for our school board before voting begins.
- Our theatre students have been hard at work preparing their production of “Willy Wonka, Jr.” Make plans to attend next Friday, April 6, at 7 p.m. at Starkville Church of God on South Montgomery St. and Locksley Way. Tickets for adults are $7 and $5 for students. Tickets will be sold in the high school office and available at the door.
- The last day to order a 2017-2018 yearbook is Friday, April 6. Yearbooks cost $75. Please visit your child’s office for extra order forms. No late orders will be accepted!
- Grandparents’ Day is Friday, April 13, at 1 p.m. Please see your elementary child’s teacher for more information.
- The Volition Beauty and Beau Review is Friday, April 13, at 7 p.m. at Rent Auditorium on the Mississippi University for Women campus. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets for the event are $10 and will be available for purchase beginning Monday, April 9, in the high school office. Tickets will also be available for purchase at the door the night of the event.