Dear SA Family,
By all accounts, we had a great first day of school today! I can’t promise how long it will last, but I saw tons of smiles on kids’ faces of all ages, and all of the teachers that I saw today gave positive reports from their classrooms as well. We couldn’t have asked for a better start to the school year. It’s definitely great to be a Starkville Academy Volunteer!!
Our 2017-2018 Student Handbook is now on our website and can be found in three different places – under the “Academics” tab, the “Parents” tab, and the “Students” tab. Don’t forget to sign and return the Student Handbook Acknowledgement Page with your child(ren) in the upcoming days.
With Thursday being the first full day of school, I wanted to remind everyone of the new start and dismissal times across the board. PreK & Kindergarten are in school from 7:55-2:40; Grades 1-6 are in school from 7:55-2:55; and Grades 7-12 are in school from 8:00-3:20.
As always, carpool for the first couple of weeks will be chaotic until traffic in Starkville “disappears,” so we ask for your patience until things settle. If you are a new family, though, we have added a Carpool Map to our website for your convenience. You can find it on one of the rotating sliders on the homepage and also under the “Parents” tab, and this will hopefully help you to navigate through the carpool lanes. As always, don’t hesitate to contact us in either office if you have any questions. Additionally, parents, please do not park and expect your child to cross and come to you, and do not park and walk down to pick up your child. We ask that everyone move through the carpool line properly. Please keep in mind these rules are for the safety of your child. Again, you must go through the carpool line. Please be mindful of children at dismissal times and do not text or be distracted otherwise on your cell phone.
News, Notes, and Highlights
- Weather permitting, our defending state champion Lady Vols soccer team will take the field Thursday at 4:00 and 6:00 PM against Columbus Christian Academy. Come out to the Starkville Sportsplex to show your support.
- There will be a swim team meeting Thursday night at 6:00 PM in the cafeteria for all interested students. Parents and students must attend.
- Our Lady Vols fast-pitch softball team has a couple of road contests coming up before returning to action at home next Tuesday vs. Leake Academy. Games times are set for 4:00 and 6:00 PM.
- Back-to-School Night for 7th-12th grade parents is set for Tuesday, August 15th, at 6:30 PM.
- Mark your calendars now for our annual Rodeo Round-Up, which is always fun for the entire family. This year’s event is scheduled for Saturday, August 19th, from 4:00-7:00 PM at the MSU Horse Park.
Thank you for entrusting your children to us, and as always…GO VOLS!